We are continuing a series called App of the Week, wherein we recommend the best apps to support the academic experience. Please let us know what you think, and feel free to provide suggestions for apps we should review.
Are you an Army college sports fan looking for an easy way to keep track of Army Athletics? Do you need a way to watch Army-Navy from afar? This week’s app, Army GameDay LIVE, allows you to track not only Army Football, but ALL of Army’s talented sports teams in one simple, easy to use app.
Army GameDay LIVE, which is the official app of Army Athletics, is an intuitive mobile tool that provides access to the latest stories, scores, and Army sports updates.
The headlines screen uses a simple scrolling feed to feature the latest Army athletic news for all sports:
Just select a byline, and the news story pops up in an easy-to-read screen. Tap to close in order to read the next story you select. Find a story you would like to share? You can AirDrop, Mail, or copy the story by tapping on the upload icon in the upper right corner of the story.
Most helpful features:
- The app is visually appealing and easy to navigate.
- If you are not able to attend every Army game, you get an up-to-the-minute game day visual through Game Tracker live scoring integration. This is a plus when you are on the road!
- The Events Calendar displays Army Sports for the day, with times and location in an easy scrollable display. This allows you to find the specific Army Sport you are looking for and get an instant update.
- The sidebar tabs are helpful and useful – you can choose any Army sport to get specific news and game information; a Twitter tab congregates all of Army’s social media sports updates (photos and more); a tickets tab to get you to the game in person, and a store tab allows you to buy that all-important Army Sport Team wear!
- The app provides information on the facilities for each Army sport, including seating, parking maps, and directions.
- You can set up mobile alerts to ensure you don’t miss the updated score!
- Premium content for streaming is per subscription pricing through CBS sports network. You cannot stream live audio without a premium subscription. A work around: listen to Army Sports on local radio via a streaming app on your computer, phone, or iPad while watching the visual integration on Game Tracker.
Bottom Line: While the app does require you to pay for premium content (and local CBS affiliates usually carry Army Football, so you’d be paying for free content in that case), this free app provides one-stop comprehensive coverage for any Army sports fan.
GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
The views expressed in this post are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government. No endorsement or recommendation of any specific products or services is intended or implied.
Contents contributed by Darrell Hankins, Reference Librarian